Medical Lab Tech Scholarships
As a medical lab technician, you get to work in the world of medicine, making a real difference in the lives of patients and working to prevent and cure diseases. Unlike working as a doctor, however, you don’t need multiple advanced degrees to get a job in this field. In as little as 12 to 18 months, you could have your associate’s degree and certification, qualifying you for an exciting new career in the medical field. But one thing to consider, of course, is how you plan to pay for your education. The cost of a degree is one of the top concerns for college students.
Although the length of the program is shorter, even an associate’s degree can be expensive. Luckily for students, there are organizations, companies, and other groups that offer scholarships, especially for people pursuing an education in medicine. As a medical lab tech student, you qualify for many of these scholarships, and you should take advantage of these funds for college. As with grants, you don’t have to repay scholarships, making them a great source of money for school.
Where can you find scholarships for medical lab tech students? Here are some great places to start:
- American Society for Clinical Laboratory Sciences: This organization has many scholarships available, including ones for students who show leadership skills, are published, belong to the Alpha Mu Tau fraternity, or are working in certain specialties. You can read about all of the scholarships available from the ASCLS at their website.
- Medical Laboratory Cooperative Scholarship: Presented by the Nationwide Children’s Hospitals, with this scholarship, students are required to accept a position at a NCH facility after graduation. It is available for students who are 6 months into an associate degree program or are a junior or senior in an bachelor degree program. Read more at the NCH website.
- Scholarship fro Disadvantaged Students, US Department of Health and Human Services: If you come from a family that doesn’t have much money, the government could help to fund your education as a medical lab tech. You can find out more at this web page, and you can also look into special student loans for students pursuing an education in medicine.
- David Birenbaum Scholarship Fund of the American Association of Bioanalysts: The AAB provides scholarship for students who’ve shown exceptional academic achievement, who participate in community service, or who have financial need. You or a family member needs to be an AAB member to apply. More information can be found at their website.
- Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions: One of the most prestigious scholarships to be awarded in this field, ASAHP scholarships are given annually to students who excels academically and has a strong resume of community service work, extracurricular activities, and leadership skills. Read more at the ASAHP website.
Don’t forget that you can also contact your school directly to learn about scholarship opportunities for the general study body and for your department. Many organizations also have scholarships given to students without bias of major or program of study, so don’t limit your search to just medical-related scholarships. Apply to as many as possible, and you could find yourself going to school to become a medical lab tech for free!
More Information About Financial Aid
If you are curious to get more information about other sources of financial aid, there are many resources you can turn to. When applying for financial aid, the best place to start is by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. You can do this by visiting their site. This application will determine what type of aid you qualify for and how much. This could be in the form of grants, work-study programs, or student loans.
Top Online Medical Lab Tech Degrees
For those looking to become a medical laboratory technician, a minimum of a two-year associate's degree in health science or a closely related healthcare subject is usually required to gain an entry-level position in the field. For those looking for more advancement, a bachelor's degree is recommended. There are numerous accredited online schools that offer such degrees, listed below.
University of Cincinnati — The Bachelor of Science degree in clinical laboratory science offered by Cincinnati University is a perfect fit for individuals persuing a career as a medical lab technician. This program is designed to prepare students to become Clinical Lab Techs (CLTs) or Medical Laboratory Technicians (MLTs) in under three years.
Kaplan University — One of the biggest online schools in the nation, Kaplan University provides many online degrees to help you begin a Medical Lab Technician career. While the degrees build a foundation in healthcare that carries throughout your career, more training may be required for your desired position. Kaplan's programs include associate degrees in medical assisting, medical transcription, human services, and health information technology.
Strayer University — For students seeking medical lab technician degrees that have real-world applications, Strayer University offers a Bachelors of Business Administration in Health Services Administration that can be completed through online programs. The healthcare industry is an always-growing field with high demand for skilled individuals. This is a great way to jump-start your career in the medical field today.
Virginia College Online — Virginia College Online offers a bachelor's degree program in health services management. This bachelor's degree presents students with a solid general education in addition to a focused teaching of basic healthcare principles. Graduates of this program will be prepared for management positions in a variety of healthcare settings.
Liberty University — Liberty University is one of the nation's largest educations with several hundred degrees available in its course catalog. In order to reflect current trends in education, Liberty has added several online programs for students who need flexibility and convenience as they pursue their career interests. This includes an accredited RN to BSN program for students interested in the medical field.
Looking for a healthcare degree?
Use the degree finder below, and we'll help you find a medical lab technician program.